Thursday, April 3, 2008

Radiological Distruction



Once upon a time, I started listening to the radio. I'm not sure when, but I did, sometime after those children's books on tape got boring and country music got cool in the 90's. I listened to Tim McGraw, Brooks & Dunn, Little Texas, Trace Adkins, Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Trisha Yearwood, Martina McBride, and several others.

Somewhere around middle school I grew into 'pop' music. What a terrible name. I digress. I can't complain about getting into pop because it has led me in several different directions musically, but it is the main factor that single-handedly destroying the music industry.

Pop music is for the masses. Masses of people who can't think for themselves or find music that fits their taste. They willingly take what songs Top 40 stations deem 'popular' and don't bother to switch the station when then same "Hey There Delilah" song comes on 12 times a day (when most of us would switch the channel or punch a hole in our dashboards).

Eventually, for those who even occasionally listen to pop, we hear the same songs over and over again. And this is what is ruining the industry. This constant repetition does not allow lesser known artists music to be heard, and only allows for more popular bands to get lost because no one wants to hear their music every time they turn on the jams. So in this day and age, there is no great American musical artist because no one stands out.

No comments: