Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Number 1!

Number 1, Ricky Bobby (or Will Ferrell, your choice).

I have begun this blog to talk about how people affect pop culture and society (are they any different anymore?) and the effect of people on pop culture and society (and vice versa). Hence æffected. BUT you can't use the æ letter in the web domain (damn!) so, yeah, you get it.

I started this post with Ricky Bobby because of the effects of Will Ferrell on comedy. His box office hits make millions, because of his acting (and Adam McKay's writing). Is he a superstar, a comedian, or phenomenon? Time has shown all of these, but he is merely a man. A man America loves. I'll admit to his hilarity (seeing I own some of his movies and a "Best of Will Ferrell" SNL DVD), but what is his effect?

His movies (and those of colleagues Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson) have given birth to a new type of comedy/classic. The films are plotless (somewhat) and have turned into cult classics because of their use of the same actors. They play into (onto?) trends that my generation align themselves with most - sports, fashion, drinking, parties, cars, music, and even pop culture itself. Which have, in turn, led to the new array of comedic films with (more serious plot and) actors like Steve Carrel (40-year-old Virgin) and Seth Rogen (Knocked Up, Superbad), and producer/ writer Judd Apatow (
Anchorman, Kicking and Screaming, Talladega Nights, 40-year-old Virgin, Knocked Up, Walk Hard, and the upcoming Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Pineapple Express).

We touched somewhat on this in my Writing Through the Media class, on why comedy (as a genre) is used to get messages across in film. We tend to watch comedies multiple times, while political dramas are watched, appreciated and left to be remembered and on the shelves of your local Wal-Mart. Then again, maybe you bought The Good Shepherd (hated it) or Munich (good but depressing, don't care to see it again) and watch it once a month or more.

Stay tuned for more, I want to post a few times a week, but seeing that I am graduating in like 6 or 7 weeks so it won't be much until May. I will discuss Advertising heavily because it is one of my greatest passions (and future field of work), but also about TV, trends, games, technology, evolution, dreams, science, art, anything really that comes to my mind. I will question, argue, complain and make obnoxious claims, but I will also make good points and do my best to leave you satisfied at the end. (That's what she said!)

No comments: